A Brief History of Kanarraville
The present-day town of Kanarraville, Utah was originally settled around 1862 when inhabitants of Fort Harmony were washed out by heavy rains and forced to move to another location. Originally called Kanarra, it was named after a Piute Indian Chief, Canarrah (or Quanarrah), who lived near the settlement at the time. Families from Long Valley and Toquerville also joined the settlement and assisted with fortifying it against Indian threats. The community was historically supported by farming, ranching and coal mining, and has maintained a population between 200 and 400 people.
The Town of Kanarraville was incorporated in 1934 and seeks to maintain a rural and agricultural community, depending upon nearby Cedar City for its commercial and industrial needs. Kanarraville Town Government maintains a municipal water system, community parks, a fire department and a cemetery. Kanarra Creek Canyon and Kanarra Falls are a local attraction which attracts tens of thousands of visitors per year.
Here are some links to more in-depth historical information about our town: